This glacier dog sledding tour is a must-do experience!! Step aboard a helicopter for a spectacular flight above the mountains to a remote basecamp on beautiful Fourth of July Glacier. Accompanied by your guide, a real Iditarod musher, the Alaskan Huskies will lead you on a thrilling ride on the snow in the summer sun. Learn about a Musher’s life, dog sled racing, and enjoy the incredible scenery on your dog sledding adventure.
Tour Availability: 2020: June 1 - August 31 / 2021: May 1 - August 31
Duration: 1 hour 30 min
Activity Level: Easy
- A short, scenic flight to a remote glacier camp.
- Meet mushers from Seavey IdidaRide Dog Sled Tours, renown for raising teams of Iditarod champions.
- Play with the friendly Alaskan Huskies; learn about the musher’s lifestyle and historic Iditarod race.
- Plenty of photo opportunities of you on the glacier, driving the dog team, playing with the dogs!
- We provide snow gear for the glacier.
Your glacier dog sledding tour starts from Seward Airport for a short, scenic flight to the dog sledding camp on a remote glacier. The mushers will greet you at the helicopter and introduce you to the friendly Alaskan Huskies. The sled dogs are trained by our partner, Seavey’s Ididaride Kennel, owned by Mitch Seavey, a mushing legend and three-time Iditarod Champion. You’ll hear interesting facts about the dogs and the mushing lifestyle, how they care for the
Next, you’re on the sled for an exhilarating 1-kilometer loop on the snow, surrounded by a gorgeous backdrop of glaciers and mountains. Stand on the runners and help drive the sled, or sit back and take in the views. Guests love meeting the affectionate dogs!
What To Expect:
Enjoy a complimentary shuttle from one of our many pickup locations in Seward, Alaska. If you’re driving, park your vehicle at our hangar at the Seward Airport. Please
You’ll have a great view from every seat to enjoy the incredible scenery. If it’s your first time in the helicopter, you’ll find it’s a smooth ride with amazing visibility. Your experienced pilot will provide knowledgeable commentary during your journey. After the completion of your flight, our courtesy van will be waiting for a complimentary transfer to your destination in Seward.
When we land on the glacier, the dogs know exactly what it means—it’s time to run! They’ll be bouncing and barking with joy because it’s go-time! On the sled, you’ll travel in a 1-kilometer loop, either at a gentle trot or a healthy clip, depending on snow conditions and the kind of experience you want. Tours are suitable for all ages. We go in all conditions, even rain. It can be cool up on the glacier, so dress in layers, and we can provide waterproof layers and over-boots for you. Also, don’t forget your sunglasses, camera or GoPro!
Other Important Information:
- 290 lb weight limit per seat (132 kg)
- $519 per adult, $479 per child 12 and under.
- Free shuttle service available from many locations in the city of Seward.
- New flexible cancellation policy: If you or a close contact tests positive for the Coronavirus you can cancel ANYTIME for a full refund up to the day-of your flight, likewise if your travel plans are compromised by any COVID-19 travel restrictions. (For other cancellation causes, we will offer a full refund up to 7 days before your flight, cancellations within 7 days are subject to a 50% cancellation fee, and within 24 hours are subject to a 100% cancellation fee.)
- If our staff cancels due to weather, no charges will apply and you will be refunded or rescheduled.
- Max. 6 passengers. We can accommodate larger groups with advance notice (please call).
- All tours require a 2 passenger minimum. Call us if you are traveling solo, we’ll add you to an existing reservation.
- Remember to dress in layers for Alaska weather and wear flat, closed-toe footwear (no sandals or heels, please).