A once-in-a-lifetime experience: step out of the helicopter and walk on the ancient glacial ice.
Tour Availability: Year-Round
Duration: 60 Minutes
Activity Level: Easy
- Step out onto a giant glacier and explore!
- See crystal-blue glacial pools in spring and summer.
- Unbelievable views – bring your camera and sunglasses!
- Breathtaking alpine glaciers, mountains, and even look for wildlife.
- Helicopters offer the best aerial views of any aircraft.
The view is instantly beautiful as you ascend from Girdwood Airport. Entering the Chugach backcountry, you’ll witness the iconic Lake George Glacier, Whiteout Glacier and Colony Glacier. View blue melt-water pools in spring and summer. You’ll land on a glacier and step out onto the ice to spend 15-20 minutes exploring. On the flight, look for moose, bear and sheep traversing 20-Mile River Valley.
What To Expect:
Enjoy a complimentary shuttle from one of our pickup locations in Girdwood. If you’re driving, park your vehicle at our hangar at the Girdwood Airport. We ask all guests to arrive 15-minutes before your scheduled flight time for a short safety briefing. Then, you’ll be ready for your 60-minute scenic flight culminating in a spectacular glacier landing. You’ll spend 15-20 minutes out of the helicopter exploring the glacier.
You’ll have a great view from every seat, so sit back and relax as you enjoy the incredible scenery. Your professional pilot will provide knowledgeable commentary during your journey. After the completion of your flight, our courtesy van will be waiting for a complimentary transfer to your destination in Girdwood.
Other Important Information:
- 290 lb weight limit per seat (132 kg)
- Free shuttle service available from Girdwood hotels and B&Bs.
- Flexible cancellation policy: We offer a full refund up to 7 days before your flight. Cancellations within 7 days are subject to a 50% cancellation fee, and within 24 hours are subject to a 100% cancellation fee. If you or a close contact tests positive for the Coronavirus you can cancel anytime for a full refund up to the day-of your flight, likewise if your travel plans are compromised by any COVID-19 travel restrictions.
- If our staff cancels due to weather, no charges will apply and you will be fully refunded or rescheduled.
- Maximum of 6 passengers. We can accommodate larger groups with advance notice (please call).
- Per FAA guidelines, infants younger than 24 months old can fly on a parent’s lap; children aged 2 years and older must have their own seat purchased for them.
- We operate a fleet of Robinson R44 helicopters for our tours. Each helicopter seats three passengers, so larger parties will be traveling in groups of three, using multiple aircraft. For proper weight and balance of the helicopter we may occasionally require groups traveling together to be seated with other guests so we do not exceed the maximum weight limit for the aircraft.
- All tours require a 2 passenger minimum. Call us if you are traveling solo, we’ll add you to an existing reservation.
- Remember to dress in layers for Alaska weather and wear flat, closed-toe footwear (no sandals or heels, please).