Experience the pure enthusiasm of Alaskan Huskies while mushing on an alpine snowfield. A unique Alaska experience you’ll always remember.
Tour Availability: May 15 - August 31
Duration: 2 Hours (1 1/2 hours on the glacier)
Activity Level: Easy
- A scenic flight to a remote camp on Punchbowl Glacier (15 minute round-trip).
- The camp is managed by the Seavey family, renown for raising teams of Iditarod champions.
- Meet the friendly Alaskan Huskies; learn about the musher’s lifestyle and historic Iditarod race.
- Plenty of photo opportunities of you on the glacier, driving the dog team, playing with the dogs!
- We provide snow gear for the glacier.
$549/499 Per Seat
The tour begins as you rise above Girdwood Valley. Your 15 minute round-trip flight will crest over the mountains into glacier country for your dog sledding adventure. You’ll have great photo opportunities from the air before landing on Punchbowl Glacier, a giant snowfield 3,200 feet above sea level.
On the glacier, the mushers will greet you at the helicopter and introduce you to the friendly Alaskan Huskies. The sled dogs are trained by our partner, Seavey’s Ididaride Kennel, owned by Mitch Seavey, a mushing legend and three-time Iditarod Champion. You’ll hear interesting facts about the dogs and the mushing lifestyle, how they care for the huskies and train them to pull.
Next, you’re on the sled for an exhilarating 2K-to-3K loop on the snow, surrounded by a gorgeous backdrop of glaciers and mountains. Stand on the runners and help drive the sled, or sit back and take in the views. Afterward, you’ll have time to hold some of the adorable puppies!
What To Expect:
Enjoy a complimentary shuttle from one of our pickup locations in Girdwood. If you’re driving, park your vehicle at our hangar at the Girdwood Airport. We ask all Dog Sledding guests to arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled tour time. Before taking flight, you’ll be outfitted for mushing with waterproof layers and over-boots, and take part in a short safety briefing. Then, you’ll be ready to head up to the Glacier Dog Sled Camp. You’ll be on the Glacier for about 90 minutes for an informative tour, a sled ride and time with the dogs.
You’ll have a great view from every seat to enjoy the incredible scenery. Your professional pilot will provide knowledgeable commentary during your journey. After the completion of your flight, our courtesy van will be waiting for a complimentary transfer to your destination in Girdwood.
When we land on the glacier, the dogs know exactly what it means—it’s time to run! They’ll be bouncing and barking with joy because it’s go-time! On the sled, you’ll travel in a 2-to-3-kilometer loop lasting 20-30 minutes, either at a gentle trot or a healthy clip, depending on snow conditions and the kind of experience you want. Tours are suitable for all ages and all travelers—they’re even handicap-accessible. We go in all conditions, even rain. It can be cool up on the glacier, so dress in layers, and we can provide waterproof layers and over-boots for you. Also, don’t forget your sunglasses, camera or GoPro!
Dog Sledding with Alaskan Huskies is a large part of Alaskan life and history. Alaska’s Iditarod Trail started out as a mail and supply route to the interior of Alaska. In the winter of 1925, part of the Iditarod trail was used as a life-saving path to Nome, Alaska, during a great Diptheria epidemic, because only sled dogs could travel to the remote village to deliver Serum. The trail is now known for the famous Iditarod dog sled race, the “Last Great Race on Earth”, where dogs, sleds and their mushers race northward from Anchorage to Nome. Each musher with their team of 12-16 dogs endure a journey of 1,150 miles in 8-15 days. More about this amazing race: http://www.iditarod.com.
Other Important Information:
- $549 per adult, $499 per child 12 and under.
- Free shuttle service available from Girdwood hotels and B&Bs.
- Cancel up to 7 days before your tour for a full refund. Cancellations within 7 days are subject to a 50% cancellation fee. Cancellations within 24 hours are subject to a 100% cancellation fee.
- If our staff cancels due to weather, no charges will apply and you will be refunded or rescheduled.
- Max. 12 passengers. We can accommodate larger groups with advance notice (please call).
- All tours require a 2 passenger minimum. Call us if you are traveling solo, we’ll add you to an existing reservation.